Russia will deploy around 20 new military formations and units near its western borders by the end of the year in response to actions by the transatlantic NATO alliance, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Monday.
“The actions of our Western colleagues are destroying the world’s security system and force us to take adequate countermeasures,” the Interfax news agency quoted Shoigu as saying.
“Around 20 military formations and units will be formed in the Western Military District by the end of the year.”
- Russia threatens to send array of ‘unpleasant’ signals to US ahead of summit
- Russia says will defend, help Belarus if EU imposes sanctions
- Russia confirms new route for Air France flights to Moscow, avoiding Belarus airspace
- US says agencies largely fended off latest Russian hack
- As Russia tensions simmer, NATO conducts massive military exercises
- Biden administration informs Russia it won’t rejoin Open Skies arms control pact