UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday slammed the Taliban’s “broken” promises to Afghan women and girls, and urged the world to inject cash into Afghanistan in order to prevent its economic collapse.
“I am particularly alarmed to see promises made to Afghan women and girls by the Taliban being broken,” he told reporters.
“I strongly appeal to the Taliban to keep their promises to women and girls and fulfill their obligations under international human rights and humanitarian law.”
- Taliban say US will provide humanitarian aid to Afghanistan
- Iran’s President Raisi claims US ‘plot’ behind ISIS attack on Afghanistan’s mosque
- EU warns of security risks linked to migration from Afghanistan
- ISIS claims responsibility for deadliest attack on Afghanistan since US withdrawal
- US, Pakistan's officials in strained talks over Taliban-ruled Afghanistan
- Russia says it will protect Tajikistan in event of any incursions from Afghanistan
- UN rights body establishes investigator for Afghanistan to probe Taliban violations