Portuguese and Spanish authorities have seized 5.2 tons of cocaine from a sailboat on the high seas and arrested three suspects, in Portugal’s largest drug bust in 15 years and a world-record haul from a sailboat, police said on Monday.
With the cocaine bales piled up behind him at a naval base across the river Tagus from Lisbon, Luis Neves, director of Portugal’s criminal investigation police, said the haul represented the largest amount of cocaine worth $232 mln ever seized from a sailboat globally.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
Usually, such large quantities are found on cargo ships and bigger motorized vessels.
Authorities discovered 183 cloth sacks full of cocaine, destined for the continental European market, inside the sailboat in the Atlantic Ocean, around 550 kilometers from Portugal’s coast.
“We are always expecting (more drug trafficking) and this is the message we want to send organizations: we are waiting for you,” Neves said. “Those who have to fall will fall because this amount of drugs is an immense fortune and a huge blow for criminal groups.”
The crew members -- two Spanish nationals and one Peruvian -- were arrested and will appear before a judge. Police suspect they are part of a powerful drug ring known for transporting drugs from Latin America to Europe.
Antonio Duarte, head of Spain’s police narcotics unit, said the men had already been on authorities’ radar and an arrest warrant had been issued for one of them.
The seizure comes as new gangs continue to muscle into cocaine markets in Europe, setting up smuggling networks directly linking producers in Latin America to European consumers, according to the Lisbon-based EU drugs agency, the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA).
Cocaine is the second most commonly used illicit drug in Europe, the agency said in its 2021 report.
Dubai Police seizes 500 kilograms of cocaine in ‘region’s biggest drug bust’
Four suspected Chinese drug dealers shot dead by Philippine forces
In major drug bust, India seizes $2.7 bln of heroin from Afghanistan at port
- Four suspected Chinese drug dealers shot dead by Philippine forces
- Dubai Police seizes 500 kilograms of cocaine in ‘region’s biggest drug bust’
- Philippines' Duterte to prepare defense against ICC probe into drug war
- Colombian army major in charge of drug crackdown is killed
- Shah Rukh Khan’s son Aryan arrested in drug bust: Reports
- Police seize enough drugs to kill 50 mln people, arrest two alleged dealers
- In major drug bust, India seizes $2.7 bln of heroin from Afghanistan at port
- ICC backs investigation into Philippines’ ‘war on drugs’ under Duterte
- India, Russia hold talks on Afghanistan, express concerns on drugs, terrorism