A humanitarian association has filed manslaughter charges against high-ranking French and British officials for failing to help 27 people who drowned in November trying to cross the English Channel.
The charges, filed on Friday and seen by AFP on Monday, target Philippe Dutrieux, the coast prefect of Cherbourg, Marc Bonnafous, director of the French regional coastguard, and Claire Hughes, director of Her Majesty’s Coastguards, of “involuntary manslaughter” and “failure to help people in need.”
According to statements from two survivors, people close to the victims and people who managed to cross on the same day, distress calls were made to the French and British rescue services even before the migrants’ bodies were eventually found by a fishing trawler, the Utopia 56 association said.
“They were given no immediate assistance,” it said in a statement.
Most of the victims of the boat accident on November 26 were Iraqi Kurds. Four Afghan men, three Ethiopians, a Somalian, an Egyptian and an Iranian Kurd were also drowned.
The dead included seven women, a 16-year-old and a seven-year-old.
The alleged shortcomings by the French and British coastguards were a “regular” occurrence, Utopia 56 said, adding it hoped an investigation would shed light on the circumstances of the deaths.
The association deplored that a French probe into the accident was focused essentially on the role of human traffickers, and not the authorities.
The British side appeared not to have launched any investigation at all, it said.
The accident was the most deadly involving a migrant boat in the Channel and cast a spotlight on the increasing number of desperate people seeking to cross the narrow waterway between France and England.
It also caused major diplomatic tensions between London and Paris.
Within 48 hours of the accident, French President Emmanuel Macron accused British Prime Minister Boris Johnson of being “not serious” in his approach to stopping the crossings.
France was irked by Johnson’s initial reaction, which was seen as deflecting blame onto France.
According to the investigation, the migrants left in an inflatable boat from Loon-Plage in northern France at night.
After their boat capsized only two men, an Iraqi Kurd and a Sudanese national, were rescued safely.
According to the Iraqi survivor there had been a total of 33 people aboard.
Migrant boat capsizes in English Channel; at least 31 deadAt least 31 migrants bound for Britain died Wednesday when their boat sank in the English Channel, in what France’s interior minister called the ... World News
One migrant dead, one missing as 400 rescued from English ChannelOne migrant died and one went missing as more than 400 were rescued after their vessels sank in the Channel en route to Britain, French authorities ... World News
Migrants resettled in Italy help Pope Francis celebrate 85th birthdayA group of migrants from refugee camps in Cyprus who are being resettled in Italy at Pope Francis’ expense helped the pontiff celebrate his 85th ... Life
German rescue ship picks up 223 migrants near MaltaGerman migrant rescue charity Sea-Eye said Friday one of its boats had picked up 223 migrants in the Mediterranean and accused Malta of failing to ... World News