Fourteen people went on trial in Belgium on Tuesday accused of helping an extremist group that killed 130 people in the gun and bomb attacks across Paris in 2015.
The 13 men and one woman are accused of supporting the self-avowed ISIS combatants before their attacks on the evening of November 13, 2015, and afterwards for the one attacker who survived and returned to Brussels.
Nine accused were present on Tuesday, seven seated at the front of the court, two led in by guards to closed glass boxes. Two accused are believed to have died in Syria.
The trial is taking place in the former headquarters of NATO in a Brussels suburb with heightened security. Armed police patrolled the perimeter and corridors and guarded the entrance of the vast impromptu courtroom.
Twelve of the accused face charges of leading a terrorist group or participating in terrorist activities, with potential prison terms of up to 15 and five years respectively.
Prosecutors say they helped attackers travel to Syria or supplied them with arms.
Some are accused of secretly housing Salah Abdeslam, a 32-year-old French national of Moroccan origin who is now the main suspect in a trial of more significant attacks participants in Paris. Abdeslam hid in Brussels for four months until his capture, four days before a twin attack in Brussels that killed 32 people.
Two of the group face non-terrorist charges, one for having supplied false documents to those involved in both the Paris
attacks and the bombings at Brussels Airport and on the Brussels metro in March 2016. The other is accused of handling arms and explosive material.
The presiding judge asked the accused present to confirm their names, dates of birth, and addresses before one of set of defense lawyers sought to have the case against his client dismissed. The case was then adjourned.
Hearings are scheduled to run until May 20, with rulings expected by the end of June.
Paris 2015 attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam tells court: I love ISISSalah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the November 2015 terrorist attacks that killed 130 people in Paris, told a court on Wednesday that he supported ... World News
Suspect in 2015 Paris attacks says deaths of 130 people 'nothing personal’The key defendant in the 2015 Paris attacks trial said Wednesday that the ISIS network which struck the city was attacking France, and that the deaths ... World News
Trial of 20 men accused in 2015 Paris terrorist attacks begins in FranceParis suspect Salah Abdeslam says in court that he is a soldier of ISIS, Reuters reports.A court trial began on Wednesday into the November 2015 ... World News
Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam goes on trial in BelgiumThe last surviving suspect in the 2015 Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, has left prison in France to stand trial in Brussels on Monday over a shootout ... World News
Brussels bombing suspect Abrini charged over Paris attacksThe main suspect in the Paris attacks is Salah Abdeslam World News
Austria extradites pair thought to be linked to Paris attacksThe two men were arrested last year at a shelter for refugees on suspicion of being linked to the Paris attacks World News
French authorities ask Belgium to give in four suspects tied to Paris attacksThree of them - Mohamed Amri, Hamza Attou and Ali Oulkadi - are suspected of having helped Salah Abdeslam, the prime suspect in the attacks World News
Paris attacks suspect ‘wanted to die a martyr’, say Belgian policeThe Brussels investigators’ summary said that Abrini believed the Paris attacks were ‘just reward from Muslims to France’ World News