The Philippines on Thursday called on the International Criminal Court not to resume its investigation into former President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly drug war, insisting the tribunal has no jurisdiction.
The appeal came on the day of ICC prosecutor Karim Khan’s deadline for Manila to respond to his request to restart the probe into the anti-narcotics campaign that killed thousands of people.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
Duterte pulled the Philippines out of the Hague-based tribunal in 2019 after it began a preliminary probe into the crackdown. His successor President Ferdinand Marcos has ruled out rejoining.
A government statement said the alleged murders did not amount to “crimes against humanity” and were being handled by the country’s “proper agencies.”
Last year, the ICC authorized a full investigation into the drug war, saying it appeared to be an illegitimate and systematic attack on civilians.
Rights groups say Duterte created a climate of impunity that led to an estimated tens of thousands of deaths at the hands of police, hitmen and vigilantes, even without proof that victims were involved in drugs.
The ICC, which only gets involved in prosecutions if member states are unable or unwilling to investigate, suspended the probe two months after Manila said it was looking into the alleged crimes.
Under pressure from the UN Human Rights Council and the ICC, the Duterte government began examining several hundred cases of drug operations that led to deaths.
Those efforts led to charges being filed in a handful of cases and the conviction of three police officers of wrongdoing.
Shortly before Duterte left office in June, Khan asked the court to restart the inquiry “as quickly as possible.”
“With a handful of exceptions, the Philippine government has failed to provide any documentation to substantiate that the investigations are ongoing or complete, nor any details regarding concrete investigative or prosecutorial steps that have been taken,” Khan said.
The UN Human Rights Council is expected to discuss the Philippines at its session starting next week, but rights groups have warned that drug war killings continue under Marcos.
“Our own monitoring and reporting on the Philippines shows that the situation is not improving since that last resolution,” said Lucy McKernan, Deputy Director for the United Nations at Human Rights Watch, during an online briefing on Wednesday.
McKernan urged council members to “send a strong message” that Marcos, son and namesake of the late Philippine dictator, “does not have a clean slate to commit new abuses.”
Marcos rules out Philippines rejoining ICC ahead of plan to resume probe
Philippines President Marcos vows farm and tax overhauls in first address to nation
Philippines' Duterte to prepare defense against ICC probe into drug war
Nine missing after ferry catches fire in the PhilippinesA ferry caught fire off a port near the Philippine capital Manila on Friday, leaving nine people missing and one injured, the coast guard ... World News
Philippines: Dozens injured in crush for school cash handoutsDozens of people were injured in the southern Philippines Saturday in a crush of students and parents seeking a cash handout ahead of the reopening of ... World News
Marcos rules out Philippines rejoining ICC ahead of plan to resume probePresident Ferdinand Marcos Jr on Monday ruled out the Philippines rejoining the International Criminal Court (ICC), whose prosecutor plans to resume ... World News
Philippines terminates Russian chopper dealThe Philippine government has scrapped a deal to purchase 16 Russian military transport helicopters due to fears of possible US sanctions, Philippine ... World News