Russian and Syrian forces kill 20 militants in Syria: Russian general

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

Russian and Syrian forces have killed 20 militants in an operation in southern Syria, including those responsible for blowing up a troop bus, a Russian officer was quoted as saying late on Sunday.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Major General Oleg Yegorov, quoted by Russia’s TASS news agency, said the operation took place in southern Deraa province.

“The Russian group on interaction with security units of the Syrian armed forces conducted a special operation in the town of Jasim, Deraa province in the south of (Syria) to liquidate Islamic State fighters,” TASS said Yegorov told a briefing.

TASS said the fighters had been involved in the bombing of a bus last week that killed at least 18 Syrian servicemen near Damascus.

Yegorov said those killed in the operation included the organizer of the bus attack as well as others linked to ISIS’ operations in Deraa and in Raqqa province.

Reuters was not able to independently verify the reports.

The bus attack was one of the deadliest in months against Syrian government troops not on an active front line. There was no immediate claim of responsibility and no comment from Syrian authorities.

A decade of conflict in Syria has killed hundreds of thousands of people and left the country fractured. Russian forces have been in Syria since 2015, helping authorities in their drive to recapture territory held by opposition fighters.

Read more:

Bomb attack on Syrian army bus kills at least 18

New details found in Syria on missing ISIS hostages: Rights group

Drone strike kills suspected ISIS member in northern Syria

Top Content Trending