South Korea’s Yoon apologizes for Halloween crush, vows accountability
South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol apologized on Monday for the deadly Halloween crush in Seoul, pledging to hold to account any officials found to be responsible for sloppy responses and to reform police and safety management systems.
The October 29 crush killed 156 people, mostly in their twenties and thirties, and injured another 197 when revelers flooded the narrow alleyways of the popular nightlife district of Itaewon to celebrate the first COVID-19 curbs-free Halloween festivities in three years.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
Yoon offered the apology during a meeting to review safety rules, as the country continues to mourn the crush victims. An investigation is under way into authorities’ responses to the accident.
“I do not dare to compare myself to the parents who lost their sons and daughters, but as the president who ought to protect the people’s lives and safety, I am heartbroken,” he said.
“I am sorry and apologetic to the bereaved families who are suffering an unspeakable tragedy, and to the people who share
the pain and sorrow.”
Police have faced stringent public criticism and scrutiny over its responses during the tragedy, having dispatched just 137 officers to the area despite estimating in advance as many as 100,000 people would gather.
Last week, transcripts of several emergency calls made from the hours leading up to the accident showed that people had warned of a potential crush and urged interventions.
Yoon initially ascribed the authorities’ poor handling to flaws in the country’s crowd management and safety regulations. Following the reports of the call transcripts, however, he sharply rebuked the police and apologized to the victims and wider public.
At Monday’s safety meeting, he vowed to overhaul the national safety management system, carry out a thorough investigation and bring those responsible for failings to account.
“In particular, extensive reform is needed in the police work, which is essential to preparing for danger and preventing accidents, in order to protect the safety of the people,” Yoon said.
National Police Commissioner General Yoon Hee-keun told parliament on Monday that more officers were dispatched than
compared to pre-COVID-19 years and the 137 would have been sufficient to manage crowds of similar scale in general, but
authorities could not expect that people would be concentrated into alleyways.
Opposition lawmakers demand the police chief and the interior minister be sacked. Yoon has rejected such calls.
Read more: South Korea steps up monitoring in crowded subways after Halloween crush
South Korea steps up monitoring in crowded subways after Halloween crushSouth Korea is beefing up monitoring at crowded subway stations following a deadly Halloween crush that killed more than 150 people in Seoul, ... World News
South Korea PM urges police to explain response to Halloween crush emergency callsSouth Korea’s Prime Minister Han Duck-soo said on Wednesday police will have to explain how they responded after receiving multiple emergency calls ... World News
South Korea faces public outrage over safety control after deadly Halloween stampedeThe initial shock from a deadly crush among Halloween party-goers in South Korea is turning into public outrage over the government’s planning ... World News
South Korea vows probe into deadly Halloween stampedeSouth Korean Prime Minister Han Duck-soo on Monday promised a thorough investigation into the Halloween crush over the weekend that killed more than ... World News
Arab, world leaders offer condolences to South Korea over deadly stampedeGovernment officials from the Arab region and beyond expressed their condolences to South Korea on Sunday following a deadly stampede at a Halloween ... World News
South Korea cancels concerts, government briefings after Halloween stampede tragedyAs the death toll exceeds 150 following a stampede during Halloween celebrations in Seoul, South Korea is canceling events from government briefings ... World News
Over 151 killed in South Korea stampede, at least 19 foreigners included: Fire agencyAt least 19 foreigners were among those killed in a stampede at a Halloween event in Seoul, South Korea’s fire department told AFP Sunday.The national ... World News