Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called on Tuesday for an end to the spread of “rumors or any other pseudo-information” that could undermine unity in the war against Russia.
His remarks, in an address to parliament, appeared intended to end public speculation over whether Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov will be removed and underline that only the president can take and announce such decisions.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
David Arakhamia, a senior lawmaker and ally of the president, said on Sunday Reznikov would be replaced after a corruption scandal at the ministry.
A day later, Arakhamia said there would be no personnel changes this week, appearing to row back after Zelenskyy kept silent on Reznikov’s future and other politicians publicly defended the minister’s record.
“We are taking personnel and institutional steps at various levels in the defense and security sector that can strengthen Ukraine’s position,” Zelenskyy wrote on the Telegram messaging app, citing his speech to parliament.
“The necessary information is provided as regards each such step, whether personnel or institutional - at the level where decisions are made,” he said, underlining that such decisions were the responsibility of only the president.
Zelenskyy offered thanks to all who help preserve the unity of Ukraine, which was invaded by Russia nearly 12 months ago.
“I thank everyone who refrains from spreading any rumors or other pseudo-information that could weaken the focus of our people in their work for the victory of Ukraine,” he said.
“It is only by helping our country, not allowing the enemy to play with the emotions of our people and doing everything possible for our warriors to have more weapons that we can ensure Ukraine’s success. And we will!”
The questions over Reznikov were the first public sign of serious disarray in Ukraine’s wartime leadership.
The confusion followed a crackdown on alleged official wrongdoing as Zelenskyy seeks to show that Kyiv can be a safe steward of billions of dollars of Western aid.
Reznikov said earlier on Tuesday that he was “holding the line,” and showed no sign of stepping aside.
“Thank you all for your support, as well as constructive criticism. We draw conclusions. We continue the reforms. Even during the war. We are strengthening the defense and working for victory,” he wrote on Twitter.
Russia: NATO involvement in Ukraine threatens ‘unpredictable’ escalation
Russia accuses US embassy of ‘fake news’ over Ukraine, threatens expulsions