Fifteen die in Namibia due to porridge food poisoning

Published: Updated:
Enable Read mode
100% Font Size

Fifteen members of a family in rural Namibia have died after eating toxic porridge, in one of the country’s worst cases of suspected food poisoning, police said on Wednesday.

Local media reported that the deeply impoverished family had eaten porridge made from cereal residues left from brewing an alcoholic drink.


For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The victims -- part of a family of 21 in a village in the northeastern region of Kavango East -- fell ill after dinner on Saturday and were rushed to hospital, police said.

As of Wednesday, 15 had died, police spokesperson Kauna Shikwambi told AFP.

“So far this is the biggest number of deaths suspected to be from the ingestion of possible toxic material,” Shikwambi said.

An investigation has been opened, with results awaited from autopsies and lab tests, she added.

Read more:

Undernutrition in mothers rising sharply, UNICEF says

French company charged over baby milk salmonella scandal

WFP warns 22 million face starvation in Horn of Africa

Top Content Trending