Nine Egyptians arrested on suspicion of being smugglers after Greece boat disaster

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

Nine Egyptians have been arrested on suspicion of being people smugglers after the migrant boat disaster off Greece that claimed at least 78 lives, a port source told AFP Thursday.

Among the detainees is the captain of the overloaded and dilapidated vessel, the source said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The source said the fishing boat left Egypt empty before taking on the migrants at the Libyan port city of Tobruk and heading towards Italy.

Greek news agency ANA reported that the Egyptians were arrested in the Peloponnese port of Kalamata on suspicion of illegal trafficking of human beings. Kalamata is where survivors of the disaster are being cared for.

The International Organization for Migration has said it fears hundreds of more people drowned in one of the worst tragedies in the Mediterranean for a decade.

Government spokesman Ilias Siakantaris on Wednesday said there were unconfirmed reports that up to 750 people had been on the boat.

Read more:

Greece launches massive search for survivors of shipwreck that killed 78 migrants

Greek authorities say 78 migrants dead, dozens feared missing, after boat capsizes

Top Content Trending