Moldova has opened a criminal investigation into security at the country’s main international airport after a deadly shootout in which two people were killed, the prosecutor general’s office said on Monday.
A 43-year-old man is accused of grabbing a gun, shooting dead two security officers and wounding a civilian after being denied entry to Moldova following his arrival at Chisinau airport from Istanbul on Friday.
The prosecutor general’s office said the suspect remained unconscious and under armed guard after being wounded in the shootout, and that he had been placed under arrest for 30 days.
It announced an investigation into “the failure or improper performance of duties by persons involved in ensuring the security of the airport”.
President Maia Sandu has declared Tuesday a day of mourning for the victims of the shootout and awarded posthumous medals to those who were killed.
Acting Chief Prosecutor Ion Musteata said on Saturday the suspect would be tried in Moldova and face an aggravated murder charge if he survives.
Normal operations have resumed at the airport, which is now used frequently by passengers from neighboring Ukraine following Russia’s invasion of their country.
Tajik man who killed two at Moldova airport is wanted for abduction in his countryA Tajikistan national who fatally shot two security officers at Moldova’s main international airport is wanted in his native country in relation to ... World News
At least two people killed in shooting at Moldova’s Chisinau airport, gunman detainedA foreign national shot dead two people at Moldova’s main international airport on Friday after being denied entry into the country, police and the ... World News
Almost 60 flights canceled at Switzerland’s Geneva airport over strikeSome 59 flights were canceled at Geneva’s international airport on Friday, it said, after operations were halted for four hours because of a strike by ... World News