Russia Ukraine conflict

Russia acknowledges abandoning Robotyne after Ukraine forces claim recapture

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size

A Russian-appointed official has acknowledged that Moscow’s forces have abandoned the Ukrainian village of Robotyne, more than a week after Kyiv announced its recapture.

Yevgeny Balitsky, the top Moscow-installed official in the Zaporizhzhia region, said in a television interview that the Russian army had withdrawn for what he called tactical reasons.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“The Russian army abandoned - tactically abandoned - this settlement because staying on a bare surface when there is no way to completely dig in... doesn’t generally make sense. Therefore the Russian army moved off into the hills,” news outlet RBC quoted him as saying.

Russia has not previously acknowledged the loss of Robotyne, whose recapture was announced by Ukraine on August 28. In its daily update on Tuesday, the Russian Defense Ministry said its forces had repelled two Ukrainian attacks near Robotyne.

More than 18 months after Russia’s invasion, Ukraine says it is gaining ground and has broken through Russia’s first line of fortifications in several places on the front line, despite repeated statements from Moscow that Ukraine’s three-month-old counteroffensive has been a failure.

Read more:

One killed in Russia drone attack on Ukraine’s Odesa: Governor

UK declares Wagner Group a terrorist organization

Russia intercepts Ukrainian drone over Belgorod region: Defense ministry

Top Content Trending