Israel Palestine Conflict

New Zealand says 11 of its citizens leave Gaza for Egypt

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

New Zealand’s government on Monday said 11 New Zealanders left Gaza overnight on Sunday and entered Egypt via the Rafah border crossing.

A Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) spokeswoman in an email said the people were met by a New Zealand consular team and provided with support.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The Middle Eastern territory has been heavily bombarded by Israeli forces since early last month in retaliation for an attack by Palestinian militant group Hamas.

Gaza’s border authority announced that the Rafah land crossing into Egypt would reopen on Sunday for foreign passport holders after being closed on Friday.

The MFAT spokeswoman said New Zealand is working around the clock to get its remaining citizens and permanent residents out of Gaza.

New Zealand last week said it was working with 21 New Zealanders, family members and permanent residents to help them leave Gaza.

Read more:

Evacuations from Gaza into Egypt suspended on Friday

Gaza evacuees arrive in Egypt after Rafah crossing reopens

Gaza border authority: Rafah land crossing will reopen for foreigners Sunday

Top Content Trending