Hungary orders S. Korea citizen extradited to Spain for 2019 N. Korea embassy attack

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

A Budapest court on Wednesday ordered a South Korean citizen to be handed over to Spain, where they are wanted for a 2019 attack against North Korea’s Madrid embassy.

A dissident group calling itself “Cheollima Civil Defense” claimed responsibility for the commando-style assault on the embassy compound in which masked assailants roughed up staff and stole computers.

“According to the available information, the accused, as a member of a criminal group, forcibly entered the North Korean Embassy in Madrid, armed with firearms and knives,” a statement by the Budapest court said.

“At the embassy staff were kidnapped, beaten and some of them were injured. They then searched the building for valuables and fled in three embassy vehicles,” it added.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The South Korean citizen agreed to the simplified handover procedure, according to the court.

The accused is to be surrendered to the Spanish authorities by November 25.

The dissident group, which seeks the ouster of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, was led by Mexican national Adrian Hong Chang.

Hong, who spent much of his life in the United States as a consultant and activist, fled to the US after the raid where he met with FBI officials in New York and Los Angeles.

Since then his whereabouts have been unknown.

Pyongyang reported earlier this month that it closed its Madrid embassy along with diplomatic missions in other countries.

Read more:

Dutch court orders company to compensate victims of Iraq-Iran war mustard gas attacks.

Hungary PM criticizes Ukraine, says no rush to ratify Sweden’s NATO bid

North Korea vows more aggressive response to US ‘evolving military threats’

Top Content Trending