New Zealand seizes black box after ‘technical’ failure on Sydney-Auckland flight

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
3 min read

New Zealand investigators Tuesday seized the flight recorder from a Boeing-made LATAM plane, searching for the cause of a mid-air plunge that injured dozens of terrified travelers.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner was en route from Sydney to Auckland on Monday evening when it lurched earthward without warning, slinging some unrestrained passengers out of their seats and smashing others into the cabin ceiling.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“Everyone started screaming, crying,” said Australian receptionist Ellie Addison, one of 263 passengers aboard flight LA800.

“People were launched out of their seats, there was blood pouring from people’s faces.”

It is the latest in a string of headline-grabbing safety incidents to trouble US plane maker Boeing.

Both Boeing and Chile-based LATAM Airlines have promised to cooperate with authorities to pinpoint the cause of the unspecified “technical event”.

Confusion has clouded early investigations, with both Chilean and New Zealand safety watchdogs suggesting the other nation was taking the lead.

New Zealand accident investigators said Tuesday they had started gathering evidence, “including seizing the cockpit voice and flight data recorders”.

But, a spokesman added, “it is Chile’s investigation”.

Sales administrator Veronica Martinez said it felt like the plane had stopped mid-air, and then “we just plunged”.

“People were flying, babies fell, it was horrible, lots of people were injured,” she told AFP.

Emergency crews raced to Auckland Airport to meet the incoming flight, dispatching more than a dozen ambulances and other medical vehicles.

Support worker Gabriel Felipe de Oliveira Adaime said the flight was “traumatising”, while fellow passenger Agustin Ramonda said it was “one of the worst three seconds of my life”.

Paramedics said they treated about 50 patients. Four people remained in hospital as of Tuesday morning, Health officials told AFP.

The flight arrived on time, LATAM said in a statement.

‘Black swan event’

Passenger Brian Jokat said he spoke to one of the pilots after the plane touched down.

“I asked him ‘what happened?’ and he said to me ‘I lost my instrumentation briefly and then it just came back all of a sudden’,” he told national broadcaster Radio New Zealand.

Air accident safety investigator Joe Hattley told AFP that technical problems were rare in modern aircraft.

“That flight record will be key to understanding this event,” said Hattley, who also teaches at the University of New South Wales in Australia.

“It will tell investigators if it was an atmospheric event or a technical problem with the aircraft.”

Ashok Poduval, a commercial airline pilot for 15 years and now chief executive of the Massey University School of Aviation, said the incident appeared to be an ultra-rare “black swan event”.

“A malfunction of the autopilot or unexpected clear-air turbulence are some of the possibilities that could cause an upset of this nature,” he said.

Data from airline tracker FlightAware showed the plane began losing altitude about two hours into the three-hour flight. But it was unclear if this was part of its descent into Auckland.

Read more:

At least 50 hurt after ‘technical problem’ on Sydney-Auckland flight

Two Indonesian pilots of Batik Air suspended after falling asleep in cockpit

Top Content Trending