ISIS claims attack in Afghanistan that killed three Spaniards

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

ISIS on Sunday claimed responsibility for an attack by gunmen on tourists in Afghanistan’s central Bamiyan province, the group said on its Telegram channel.

Three Spanish tourists were killed were killed and at least one Spaniard was injured in the attack, Spain’s foreign ministry said on Friday.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Taliban interior ministry spokesman Abdul Mateen Qaniee four people had been arrested over the attack in which gunmen opened fire. In addition to the three foreign tourists, one Afghan citizen had been killed in the attack. Four foreigners and three Afghans were also injured, he added.

Mountainous Bamiyan is home to a UNESCO world heritage site and the remains of two giant Buddha statues that were blown up by the Taliban during their previous rule in 2001.

Since taking over Afghanistan in 2021, the Taliban have pledged to restore security and encourage a small but growing number of tourists trickling back into the country. They have sold tickets to see the site of the destroyed Buddha statues.

Friday’s attack was among the most serious targeting foreign citizens since foreign forces left and the Taliban took over in 2021.

ISIS claimed an attack that injured Chinese citizens at a hotel popular with Chinese businessmen in Kabul in 2022.

Read more:

Gunmen kill 4, including 3 Spanish tourists, in Afghanistan

Three Spanish, three Afghans killed in shooting in Afghanistan

Death toll from Afghanistan floods rises to 315, Taliban ministry says

Top Content Trending