Afghanistan’s Taliban government to attend third round of UN-hosted Doha talks

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

Taliban authorities will attend the third round of United Nations-hosted talks on Afghanistan in the Qatari capital, a government spokesman told AFP on Sunday, after snubbing an invitation to the previous round.

“A delegation of the Islamic Emirate will participate in the coming Doha conference. They will represent Afghanistan there and express Afghanistan’s position,” Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said of the talks, which are scheduled to start June 30.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The participation of the Taliban authorities in the two-day conference of special envoys on Afghanistan had been in doubt after they were not included in the first round and then refused an invitation to the second round in February.

Mujahid told local media on Sunday the decision had been made to send a delegation, the members of which would be announced later, because it was deemed “beneficial to Afghanistan.”

Read more:

Afghanistan’s first female breakdancer ready for Olympic stage

UN urges Taliban to provide urgent medical care to detained American aid worker

Top Content Trending