Croatia detains Czech national over fatal blast

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

A Czech national has been detained in Croatia after entering a restricted military zone and taking an explosive device that subsequently blew up, killing a child, Croatian police said on Friday.

The blast, which occurred on Wednesday near the central coastal city of Zadar, killed a nine-year-old Czech child and injured three Czech adults, all of whom were in the same car.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The 46-year-old suspect -- who was travelling in the car with family and friends -- “entered the prohibited area with a child and allowed him to take an explosive device,” police said.

“The suspect then personally placed (it) in his car,” they continued.

When the car subsequently broke down on a nearby road, the child passenger took the explosive device out of the vehicle, when it detonated, killing him instantly and injuring three others.

Croatian media said the boy was the suspect’s son.

Croatian police said the man “did not comply with the clearly displayed written warnings in both Croatian and English at a marked dangerous area of a military training ground.”

They said they had charged him with committing a “serious criminal act” and “endangering life and property.”

An investigation is underway, including forensic tests to establish the type of explosive device, they added.

Czech authorities have confirmed the accident and the arrest.

“I can confirm that a Czech citizen has been detained in relation with Wednesday’s explosion in the Zadar district.

“Considering the fact that a child died in the incident, we will not provide any information,” Czech foreign ministry spokesman Daniel Drake told AFP.

Nearly 800,000 Czech tourists visited Croatia last year.

Read more:

Blast kills two, injures three in southern Montenegro

Top Content Trending