Apple sparks new speculation about plans to develop cars
The iPhone maker registered the domain names, which include apple.car, apple.cars and apple.auto in December
Apple Inc has registered domain names related to automobiles, adding to speculation about the company's plans to develop an automobile.
The iPhone maker registered the domain names, which include apple.car, apple.cars and apple.auto in December, according to domain information provider Who.is.
MacRumors had first reported the news on Friday, but said the domain names could be related to Apple's CarPlay, which lets drivers access contacts on their iPhones, make calls or listen to voicemails without taking their hands off the steering wheel.
While never openly acknowledging plans to build a car, Apple has been aggressive in recruiting auto experts from companies such as Ford or Mercedes-Benz.
Car technology has become a prime area of interest for Silicon Valley companies including Google Inc, which has built a prototype self-driving car.
- Apple paid CEO Tim Cook $10.3 mln in 2015
- Apple Music wins exclusive video deal with Taylor Swift
- Apple releases first Arabic version of Siri
- Adele decides no streaming for new album ‘25’
- Take a sneak peek into Apple’s first stores in the Middle East
- Apple finally opens the doors to its first Middle East store
- Inside the new Apple store in Dubai