Official grain agency: Saudi Arabia buys 690,000 tons of hard wheat
Main state grain agency Grain Silos and Flour Mills Organization (GSFMO) said the wheat is for shipment during April and May
Saudi Arabia bought 690,000 tons of hard wheat via a tender, the country’s main state grain agency Grain Silos and Flour Mills Organization (GSFMO) said on Monday.
The wheat, with 12.5 percent protein content, is for shipment during April and May, GSFMO said in a statement.
The accepted origins are the European Union, North America, South America and Australia at the option of sellers, the GSFMO said.
“I think there will be expectations that some of the purchase will be sourced in Europe, perhaps in Germany or Poland,” one trader said.
Saudi Arabia has become a major importer of hard and soft wheat since abandoning plans for self-sufficiency in wheat in 2008 as farming in the desert drained away precious water supplies.
The country aims to steadily reduce agriculture and plans to be completely reliant on imports by 2016 to save water.
GFSMO said its latest deal comprised these purchases in dollars a ton with the shipment period in 2015 in brackets:
Shipment to Jeddah Port:
- 60,000 tons hard wheat from Concordia at $252.22 C&F (Apr. 1-10)
- 60,000 tons hard wheat from Concordia at $252.22 C&F (Apr.10-20)
- 60,000 tons hard wheat from Louis Dreyfus at $250.64 C&F (Apr. 20-30)
- 60,000 tons hard wheat from Louis Dreyfus at $254.64 C&F (May 1-10)
- 55,000 tons hard wheat from ADM at $254.91 C&F (May 10-20)
- 55,000 tons hard wheat from ADM at $254.91 C&F (May 20-30)
Shipment to Dammam Port:
- 55,000 tons hard wheat from ADM at $255.96 C&F (Apr. 1-10)
- 60,000 tons hard wheat from Louis Dreyfus at $255.14 C&F (Apr. 10-20)
- 55,000 tons hard wheat from ADM at $256.96 C&F (Apr. 20-30)
- 60,000 tons hard wheat from Concordia at $257.95 C&F (May 1-10)
- 55,000 tons hard wheat from ADM at $256.45 C&F (May 10-20)
- 55,000 tons hard wheat from ADM at $258.71 C&F (May 20-30)
Egypt has enough wheat until mid-May: ministerThe country aims to cut state imports of wheat in the next year to between 4 million and 4.5 million tons Financial Markets
Saudi Arabia to stop wheat production by 2016The minister was speaking on the sidelines of the two-day International Grains Forum Economy
UAE-Egypt alliance expands to desert wheat ventureEgypt, the world’s biggest wheat importer, has long aspired to become self-sufficient in its staple food through various schemes Financial Markets
ISIS militants seize wheat from state silosDirector General of the Grain Board of Iraq said ISIS tried to sell wheat stolen from Nineveh back to the government in other provinces Middle East
Tunisia increases grain harvest, expects imports to dropTunisia devotes most of its fertile irrigated farmland to durum wheat, while it imports mainly soft wheat and barley Economy
Egypt says to hold price for local wheat steadyEgypt PM says government plans to buy local wheat from farmers 'at a fair price no lower than last year' Financial Markets
Syria says wheat sold to Iraq still stuck at Hassaka silosSyria's state grain body, the General Establishment for Cereal Processing and Trade (Hoboob), said on Monday the 200,000 tonnes of wheat it had sold ... Economy
Egypt’s summer dessert delight: the Mango-Kunafa twistThe Kunafa dessert, made from spun shredded wheat, has been recreated with a topping of seasonal mango fruit and fresh whipped cream Healthy Living