German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday urged Chinese President Xi Jinping to offer more “reciprocity” in terms of trade and investments between China and Europe, in particular with regards to Beijing’s huge Belt and Road infrastructure initiative.
The initiative is a “very important project” and “we, Europeans, want to play a role,” Merkel said at a press conference in Paris.
“That must lead to reciprocity and we’re having a bit of trouble in finding it,” Merkel said after talks with Xi alongside France’s Emmanuel Macron and EU Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker.
- Thousands in Germany protest planned EU internet reforms
- Germany criticizes Turkey’s treatment of foreign journalists
- Airbus signs multi-billion dollar deal with China for order of 300 aircraft
- Macron calls for a ‘strong Europe-China partnership’
- Trump’s trade war cost US economy $7.8 bln in 2018, says study