Japanese prosecutors on Thursday lodged an appeal against Carlos Ghosn’s bail, meaning the former Motor Co Chairman will have to wait further to see if he will win his release.
Tokyo District Court said it had temporarily suspended the process pending the appeal after initially granting bail of $4.5 million to the tycoon, who faces multiple charges of financial misconduct.
The court had earlier said in a statement that it had approved the bail request from Ghosn’s defense team.
Ghosn looked set to walk out of a Japanese detention center for the second time since his arrest last year on financial misconduct charges, after a Tokyo court on Thursday set his bail at $4.5 million.
Ghosn’s lawyers on Monday filed the bail request after the former executive was indicted for aggravated breach of trust, accused of enriching himself at a cost of $5 million to Nissan from July 2017 through July 2018.
It would have marked the second time he has been released on bail. He was initially released last month, but then re-arrested on April 4 on the new charges, returning to the same Tokyo detention center where he had previously spent 108 dates following his first arrest in November. He has denied all the charges against him.
Ghosn was to be free to leave the detention center after posting bail, but his movements and communications were likely be strictly monitored and restricted in line with his previous bail conditions.