Bank Leumi said it had issued a dollar-denominated bank guarantee to First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB), its first to a United Arab Emirates bank, after Israel and the UAE signed a normalization deal last month.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
Leumi, Israel’s second-biggest bank, last month signed memorandums of understanding with FAB as well as Emirates NBD, saying the agreements would help enable the countries to implement economic relations.
Read more: Open for business: How UAE-Israel peace is driving deals at breakneck speed
It said on Wednesday the guarantee came at the request of Tal Aviation, which represents several international airlines in Israel. Tal signed a cooperation deal with Etihad Airlines that will enable Israelis to fly on Etihad with connections in Jordan, Turkey or Greece.
The bank guarantee to FAB -- one of the largest banks in the Middle East -- would ensure payments for flight tickets purchased by Tal Aviation on Etihad, Leumi said.
- Official UAE delegation trip to Israel set for October 20: Source
- From Dubai to Israel: First cargo ship from UAE arrives in Haifa, opening new route
- UAE’s IDEX defense expo will host Israeli pavilion in 2021
- UAE’s Al Naboodah to tie up with Israeli VC OurCrowd on technology
- UAE’s Sultan al-Jaber discusses energy, tech tie-ups with Israeli ministers
- UAE’s Jebel Ali Free Zone signs MoU with Israeli chambers of commerce
- Open for business: How UAE-Israel peace is driving deals at breakneck speed