UAE’s Arabtec: 'No progress on Egypt housing project'
The company announced more than a year ago that it had agreed in principle with the Egyptian government to build one million homes
United Arab Emirates-based builder Arabtec has denied on Wednesday a media report saying that it would only develop the first phase of a project in Egypt to build one million homes.
The company announced more than a year ago that it had agreed in principle with the Egyptian government to build one million homes in the country, but it has been seeking since then to finalize the deal.
“There is no progress regarding the housing project in Egypt and therefore the company denies the news referred to above,” Arabtec said in a bourse statement on Wednesday. It did not specify the source of the report to which it was referring.
Egyptian officials have said the entire project would cost around $35.8 bln (280 bln Egyptian pounds). Arabtec said in April that the first phase would involve building 100,000 homes.
Arabtec’s size and restructuring at the company over the past year has led some analysts to question whether Arabtec has the resources to deliver all one million homes by a 2020 deadline.
Dubai’s Arabtec shares drop after Egypt project speculationReports that a large housing deal between Arabtec and the Egyptian government fell through led to a drop in the Dubai bourse index Financial Markets
Dubai builder Arabtec swings to surprise net loss in Q1The earnings were well below estimates from two analysts polled by Reuters Business
Dubai’s Arabtec says in talks with banks to fund Egypt projectArabtec did not say how much it was looking to borrow or provide any other details Economy