Sotheby’s said on Tuesday it would accept bitcoin and ethereum as payment for Banksy’s iconic artwork “Love is in the Air,” a first for a physical art auction and the latest sign of growing mainstream acceptance of cryptocurrencies.
Bidding for the work is estimated at $3 million to $5 million, Sotheby’s said, with the buyer having the option to pay with cryptocurrency.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
The auction house has tied up with cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase Global Inc for the sale. Coinbase said in a blog it would help manage price fluctuations during the auction in New York next week.
Bitcoin hit a record high just shy of $65,000 last month, the latest landmark on the emerging asset’s march to wider acceptance. Its gains have been fueled by growing acceptance among major US companies and financial firms.
Cryptocurrencies have already made a mark in the world of digital art.
A digital artwork -- “Everydays - The First 5000 Days” by American artist Mike Winkelmann who is better known as Beeple -- sold for nearly $70 million at Christie’s in March, in the first ever sale by a major auction house of a piece of art that does not exist in physical form.
Coinbase said its partnership with Sotheby’s could pave the way for further adoption of cryptocurrency across the bidding house’s auctions.
Banksy to auction pandemic-inspired painting for UK health service staff
Mural of sneezing woman by Banksy appears on England’s steepest street
UK artist Banksy’s version of Monet’s garden masterpiece to go on sale
- Banksy to auction pandemic-inspired painting for UK health service staff
- Mural of sneezing woman by Banksy appears on England’s steepest street
- UK artist Banksy’s version of Monet’s garden masterpiece to go on sale
- UK street artist Banksy loses trademark case over the ‘flower thrower’
- Banksy’s migrant rescue boat stranded in Mediterranean with more than 200 on board
- Saudi co-sponsored Banksy exhibition in Vienna to pump up global cultural scene
- France arrests six over stolen Banksy artwork