.
.
.
.

Coronavirus: Qatar records one new death as infections surpass 6,000

Published: Updated:

Qatar recorded a new coronavirus death in the last 24 hours, as the number of confirmed cases rose to 6,015 after 567 new cases were reported, the Ministry of Health announced on Monday.

The total number of fatalities in Qatar is nine.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

Most of the new cases are of migrant workers who had direct contact with previously infected individuals, Qatar News Agency (QNA) said.

They are currently being held in quarantine and are receiving the necessary treatment.

The spike in the numbers of daily reported cases is due to several factors, the ministry said. This include the fact that the virus is reaching the peak, so the numbers will continue to rise before they gradually begin to decline, QNA reported.

A total of 37 people have recovered from the virus, bringing the total number of recoveries in Qatar to 555, according to QNA.

The ministry has been ramping up its efforts to contain the outbreak by conducting thousands of tests. So far, Qatar has conducted 64,620 tests.

The ministry has also been tracing infected individuals to determine who they came into contact with.

Many of the cases are believed to be within crowded labor camps for migrant workers, according to media reports. As well as implementing standard restrictions on contact including closing shops and stopping Friday Prayers, Qatar has also locked down the “Industrial Area” where many migrant workers are confined.

The ministry urges the public to follow precautionary measures and stay at home as much as possible, as well as maintain social distancing practices.