Here are the top 10 fastest growing goods online during the coronavirus pandemic
The coronavirus pandemic has prompted authorities around the world to mandate lockdowns with most public areas closed in a bid to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.
With people told to stay home, consumers have taken to shopping online. Jeff Bezos, founder of e-commerce-giant Amazon, has seen his net worth jump $24 billion as the rest of the world faces its biggest recession in nearly a century.
E-commerce analysis firm Stackline compiled the fastest growing categories in e-commerce sales across the US for March, here are the top 10:
1. Disposable gloves: Sales for goods directly related to the virus have experienced a sharp uptick as consumers buy equipment that helps keep them safe.
2. Bread machines: Bread has been running short in US supermarkets, likely prompting the significant uptick in sales for machines to make the essential foodstuff at home.
3. Cough & cold: As with gloves, sales have surged for medication for the common flu, which shares the less severe symptoms of coronavirus such as a cough.
4. Soups: Often regarded as a comfort food during illness, soup sales have spiked.
5. Dried grains & rice: Stockpiling of food, while not authorized by authorities, has seen an increase, likely contributing to the increase in sales of easily stored foodstuffs.
6. Packaged foods: Similar to dried grains and rice, packaged foods often have a longer shelf life, leading to easy storage.
7. Fruit cups: With many not leaving home due to social distancing measures or fear of catching the virus, some have turned to shopping online for essential foods.
8. Weight training: Gyms have been shut down in some countries due to the risk of spreading the virus through people working out together in a confined space. Consumers have instead turned to working out at home to keep fit.
9. Milk & Cream: As with other foodstuffs in this list, grocery shopping in person has become more difficult and consumers are turning to online shopping for their essentials.
10. Dishwashing supplies: A product that would often be bought during the weekly shop, consumers have been purchasing their dishwashing supplies online as supermarkets see empty shelves.
Trump’s three-phase plan to reopen US economy amid coronavirus: All the detailsUS President Donald Trump proposed guidelines on Thursday under which US state governors could act to revive the US economy from its coronavirus ... Coronavirus
GCC economies to record negative real GDP growth in 2020: IMFThe Middle East and Central Asia region is projected to contract by 2.8 percent in 2020, while the oil exporters in the region, primarily the GCC ... Coronavirus
Coronavirus in US: Trump unveils phased approach to reopening economyNew White House guidelines outline a phased approach to restoring normal commerce and services, but only for places with strong testing and seeing a ... Coronavirus