.
.
.
.

Coronavirus: Oman reports 85 new cases as death toll rises to 12

Published: Updated:

Oman reported 85 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, which brings the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 2,568, the Ministry of Health announced.

For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.

Out of the newly detected cases, 21 were Omani nationals and 64 were non-Omanis, the ministry said.

One person died, raising the virus-related death toll in the country to 12.

Meanwhile, 750 people have recovered from the coronavirus in Oman.

Authorities urged the public to adhere to preventative measures such as social distancing and staying at home to slow the spread of the virus.

“With our commitment to health isolation and social distancing, we will prevent ourselves, our families, and our community from the spread of the coronavirus,” the ministry said in a statement.

The first two coronavirus cases in Oman were announced on February 24 after two Omani women were infected during a trip to Iran.

Since then, the government has imposed strict measures to prevent the virus from spreading further. The capital Muscat was put under a complete lockdown, and Ramadan mass gatherings were banned.

Read more:

Coronavirus: Oman bans Ramadan mass gatherings, extends Muscat lockdown until May 8

Middle East braces for bleak Ramadan as coronavirus threat lingers