Coronavirus: Kuwait sees jump in cases, records 947 new infections, six deaths
Kuwait saw a jump in coronavirus numbers with 947 new infections and six fatalities recorded over the past 24 hours, a health ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
Read the latest coronavirus updates in our dedicated section.
Of the new cases, 256 are Indian nationals, 235 are Egyptian, 160 are Kuwaiti nationals and 124 are from Bangladesh. The Kingdom's total number of cases has reached 11,975 so far.
Meanwhile, an additional 188 recoveries were confirmed, raising the total to 3,451 with a relatively low death toll of 88, according to the health ministry.
The spokesman said the Kingdom began testing for coronavirus in January 2020 and continues its efforts to expand the testing capacity with 4,930 new screenings performed over the past 24 hours, raising the total number of tests to 231,930.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
In April, Kuwait had the second least total number of infections in the GCC. It is now the third least followed by Bahrain with 5,531 cases as of Wednesday and Oman with 4,341 total as of Thursday.
The first three cases in Kuwait were announced on February 24, all of which had arrived from Iran which was witnessing an explosion of cases at the time. Many of the subsequent cases confirmed in Kuwait during late February were also people arriving from Iran.
Kuwait was quick to impose an 11-hour curfew on its population beginning on March 22, along with heavy fines for breaking the rules. The curfew is still in place. Like other GCC countries, Kuwait has also shut schools and closed businesses.
Al Arabiya English's Tommy Hilton contributed to this report.