The World Expo awarding body said on Friday its general assembly had approved a one-year postponement of Expo 2020 Dubai due to difficulties posed by the coronavirus pandemic, and the event would now start in October 2021.
Earlier this month the Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) said that the required consent of two-thirds of its 170 member states to delay the Expo had been surpassed.
The event is a business and cultural gathering that lasts nearly six months and is held every five years.
“While this situation is unprecedented, the response by the Government of the UAE and by our Member States demonstrates the strong bonds that tie us and the shared commitment we have to delivering a truly inclusive World Expo,” BIE Secretary General Dimitri S. Kerkentzes said in a statement.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE), which includes regional business and trade hub Dubai, in March proposed the postponement after participating countries asked for a delay to focus on the novel coronavirus outbreak.
The event will still be called Expo 2020 Dubai.
On Thursday, Dubai announced the re-opening of four beaches and major parks to the public starting May 29.
Fire breaks out at site of Expo 2020, say UAE officialsA fire struck the site of Dubai's Expo 2020 on Monday, though Emirati officials said no one was injured.The blaze saw thick black smoke rise over the ... Gulf
Dubai’s Expo 2020 officially postponed until October 1, 2021 amid coronavirusExpo 2020 Dubai has been officially postponed until October, 2021, after two-thirds of the Paris-based organizing body, the Bureau International des ... Coronavirus
Coronavirus: UAE announces updated nightly curfew from 10 p.m. starting May 30The United Arab Emirates will adjust its nightly curfew starting Saturday, May 30, official WAM news agency reported on Friday. The new timing for the ... Coronavirus