Austria’s health ministry on Saturday gave the green light to two Formula One motor races on July 8 and 12 - the delayed season-openers - to be held without spectators in line with plans aimed at halting the spread of COVID-19.
The races are due to be held in the village of Spielberg, about 200 kilometers (124 miles) southwest of the capital Vienna.
Formula One organizers earlier this year announced plans to re-launch its delayed season in Austria without crowds and end it in Abu Dhabi in December after races in Asia and the Americas.
Austria is among countries moving ahead with easing restrictions as new coronavirus infections wane.
Formula One’s 10 teams will be limited to a maximum 80 people each at the races when the delayed season gets going in July, the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) had said on Thursday.
The Austrian event organizers presented a comprehensive, professional security concept to prevent infections, the country’s health ministry said on its website.
“The concept calls for strict hygienic measures as well as regular tests and health checks for the teams and their employees,” Health Minister Rudolf Anschober said.
Formula One considering closed races once season starts due to coronavirusFormula One is considering holding closed races without spectators, most likely at European circuits, once the season is able to start after being ... Coronavirus
Carlos Sainz joining Ferrari in 2021 as Vettel’s replacementSpaniard Carlos Sainz will race for Ferrari in 2021 and 2022 as replacement for four times world champion Sebastian Vettel alongside Charles Leclerc, ... Sports
Coronavirus: English Premier League announces June 17 restartThe Premier League season will restart on June 17 provided all safety requirements have been put in place, the league said on Thursday after meeting ... Coronavirus