Egyptian hotels operating with a new reduced occupancy rate of 25 percent to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus have almost reached full capacity, a tourism ministry official told Reuters on Sunday.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
Egypt suspended international flights in March and shut down restaurants, hotels and cafes in order to combat the pandemic. Although airports remain closed to all but domestic and repatriation flights, hotels were recently allowed to reopen at a quarter of their usual capacity if they met strict health and safety protocols.
Around 78 hotels, mostly along the Red Sea coast, met these rules and are currently operating with an occupancy rate of 20 percent to 22 percent, said the ministry official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
An additional 173 hotels across the country have applied for a license to reopen and will be considered in the coming week, he added.
The government said it aimed to increase the permitted occupancy rate of hotels to 50 percent in June. Tourism is one of the country’s main sources of foreign currency and accounts for 5 percent of GDP.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
Egypt has so far registered 23,449 cases of the new coronavirus including 913 deaths. Some of the first cases registered in the country were of foreign nationals.
- Nearly half of UAE residents rank life insurance as key concern following coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Spain’s PM Sanchez asks parliament to extend lockdown until June 21
- Coronavirus: UAE retailers need to ‘be bold,’ says Emaar chief Mohamed Alabbar
- India records over 8,000 new coronavirus cases in 24 hours