PepsiCo China said on Sunday that operations at one of its food processing plants in Beijing had been suspended after at least one employee tested positive for the coronavirus, in the latest outbreak of COVID-19 virus in the capital.
Production at the factory in the Daxing district was halted as soon as the first coronavirus case was confirmed on June 15, PepsiCo China director of corporate affairs, Fan Zhimin, told a news conference, without saying how many cases were detected.
Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.
A senior official for the Beijing disease control authority, Pang Xinghuo, told the same news conference that eight people at the Daxing plant had tested positive.
Lay’s, which is owned by PepsiCo, said in a post on its micro-blog that the affected food-processing plant produced a small quantity of its potato chips. It said the chance of any virus surviving during food processing was very low.
Beijing reported its first case in the latest COVID-19 outbreak in the city on June 11. The resurgence, in which 227 people have been infected, has been linked to Beijing’s Xinfadi wholesale food center near Daxing district.
China unveils security law for Hong Kong, undermining city’s freedomBeijing unveiled details of its new national security law for Hong Kong onSaturday, paving the way for the most profound change to the city’s way of ... World News
China is in every capital, Pompeo warns in scathing attackUS Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday warned Europeans they are abandoning democracy if they embrace China, in a scathing denunciation of ... World News
Coronavirus: China releases genome data, identifies European strainChina has released genome sequencing data for the coronavirus responsible for a recent outbreak in Beijing, with officials saying on Friday it ... Coronavirus