Authorities in northeastern Spain on Saturday ordered the lockdown of a county around the city of Lleida due to worrying outbreaks of the COVID-19 virus.
Catalan regional authorities announced that as of noon local time movement will be restricted to and from El Segriá, around Lleida, which is home to over 200,000 people. Residents will have until 4 p.m. local to enter the area.
This is the first restriction of free movement since the end of Spain’s state of emergency on June 21.
Regional health authorities said Friday that they had registered a jump in 60 cases in 24 hours, taking the total number of infections to over 4,000 in the county.
The new outbreaks are linked to agricultural workers in the rural area.
Spain was completely locked down from March to June to get its coronavirus outbreak under control, before its national government ended a state of emergency. Over 28,000 people are confirmed to have died from the virus in Spain.
Coronavirus found in sewage water from March 2019 in Spain, COVID-19 research showsTraces of coronavirus have been detected in wastewater collected in Barcelona, Spain from March 2019, nearly a year earlier than when the first ... Coronavirus
Catalans told not to dance with strangers after Spain eases coronavirus rulesBarcelona nightclub owners on Tuesday condemned a regional decision to maintain a ban on dancing, unless you are at a hotel or restaurant and know ... Coronavirus
Coronavirus: Spain to allow UK tourists to visit without need for quarantineSpain said on Saturday it would open its doors to British tourists from Sunday without requiring them to spend two weeks in quarantine, opening up to ... Coronavirus
Spain to reopen borders with EU Schengen countries, except Portugal, on June 21Spain will open its borders to countries in the European Union’s Schengen area on June 21, ten days before previously announced, except for Portugal ... World News