Nine people have died in India from drinking alcohol-based hand sanitizer after liquor shops in their town were closed due to virus restrictions, police said on Friday.
The group lost consciousness after consuming a “high quantity” of hand sanitizer mixed with water or soda, Siddharth Kaushal, police superintendent for Kurichedu town in Andhra Pradesh state told AFP.
They were rushed to hospital but declared dead on arrival, he said.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
The group turned to hand sanitizer "”as a substitute” for liquor after supplies were cut off when authorities ordered a lockdown of the town to combat the coronavirus, he added.
An investigation into the nine deaths has been launched, he said.
Hundreds of poor people die every year in India due to alcohol poisoning, mostly from consuming cheap hooch.
Bootleggers often add methanol -- a highly toxic form of alcohol sometimes used as an anti-freeze or fuel -- to their home-brew liquor to increase the alcoholic content.
The deaths in Kurichedu occurred shortly before India’s coronavirus death toll passed 35,000 on Friday, overtaking that of Italy.
Total infections in the world’s second-most populous country are now 1.63 million, surpassed only by the US and Brazil, both of which have much smaller populations.
- Coronavirus: India records a surge in COVID-19 as curfew lifted
- Coronavirus: India says herd immunity not an option
- Coronavirus: Kuwait resumes travel from August 1, excluding Iran, India, among others
- Coronavirus in India: Half of Mumbai’s slum residents have had COVID-19, says study
- Coronavirus: India sets up testing facilities in major cities as outbreak continues
- Coronavirus: India begins first human trials of vaccine