Foreign direct investment in Dubai fell by 74 percent in the first half of the year compared with the same period of 2019, as the coronavirus pandemic stalled parts of the global economy.
The Middle East financial and trade center drew in 12 billion dirhams ($3.3 billion) in the six months to June 30, the Dubai government said in a statement.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
The statement did not provide a comparative figure, but the government last year reported 46.6 billion dirhams in first half foreign direct investment.
Confident about future
Dubai Investment Development Agency (Dubai FDI) Chief Executive Fahad Al Gergawi said the coronavirus pandemic and subsequent disruption to supply chains, restricted business activity, mobility and travel had caused a decline in foreign investment globally.
Read more: Coronavirus: World Travel and Tourism Council awards Dubai ‘Safe Travels’ stamp
“While the COVID-19 challenge is not over yet, we are confident about the future performance of Dubai in FDI attraction as a pivotal enabler and facilitator of global business growth and expansion across regional and global markets,” he said.
Dubai was locked down for several weeks as part of government efforts to curb the coronavirus, causing many businesses to temporarily shutter.
The United Arab Emirates has recorded 61,352 cases of the virus and 351 deaths. The Gulf state does not disclose where in the country the infections and deaths have occurred.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
- Coronavirus: UAE's Emirates relaxes COVID-19 testing travel restrictions for Dubai
- Dubai invites the world’s diamond trade with message on iconic Burj Khalifa
- Dubai developer Nakheel in talks to refinance debt amid economic downturn: Reports
- Coronavirus: Survey shows 88 pct overall approval of Dubai’s COVID-19 precautions
- Coronavirus: World Travel and Tourism Council awards Dubai ‘Safe Travels’ stamp
- Coronavirus: Flying from Dubai to UK, European Union requires COVID-19 PCR test
- Coronavirus: Dubai aims to be hub for culture, creativity in new recovery roadmap
- Coronavirus: Dubai prepares to resume medical tourism sector amid COVID-19