Authorities in Istanbul announced curbs on weddings and other ceremonies in Turkey’s largest city on Saturday as the number of daily coronavirus cases and deaths hit their highest level nationwide in more than two months.
From Monday indoor weddings, engagement parties and circumcision ceremonies will be banned, Istanbul’s governor’s office said. Children and people aged over 60 will be barred from outdoor ceremonies which still go ahead, it said.
The restrictions were published a few hours before Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 1,549 new cases of coronavirus had been diagnosed in Turkey, the highest daily number since mid-June.
Thirty-nine people died, the most since mid-May, he said.
“The number of patients in serious condition continues to increase,” Koca said in a Tweet. “We cannot be relaxed about following the measures” to curb the outbreak, he said.
Turkey stages new military exercises in eastern Mediterranean amid Greece tensionsTurkey on Saturday launched new military manoeuvres in the eastern Mediterranean expected to last two weeks, in a sign that heightened tensions ... World News
‘Red line policy’ set for Turkey’s actions in Mediterranean, says MacronFrench President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday that he had taken a tough stance over the summer with regard to Turkey’s actions in the eastern ... World News
Coronavirus: Turkey’s opposition leader Babacan tests positive for COVID-19Turkey’s former economy czar and the leader of the opposition Deva (Remedy) Party, Ali Babacan, said on Tuesday he had tested positive for coronavirus ... Coronavirus