The resumption of international travel to and from Saudi Arabia is currently under review and depends on how severe the coronavirus outbreak continues to be, the Kingdom’s Minister of Health Dr.Tawfiq al-Rabiah told a local news channel on Thursday.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
“As long as there are still cases of the coronavirus, precautions have to be taken to ensure the health and safety of all,” al-Rabiah told al-Ekhbariya news channel.
International flights to and from the Kingdom were suspended on March 15 as part of measures to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
Despite the temporary travel ban, Saudia Airlines last week announced a list of coronavirus guidelines and requirements for travelers arriving in the country.
The guidelines include requiring all arriving passengers to self-isolate for seven days and register for the Tatamman and Tawakkalna mobile applications used to monitor and track coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia.
COVID-19 cases in the Kingdom have significantly dropped in the last two weeks, according to data by the Ministry of Health.
On Thursday, Saudi Arabia detected 708 new cases of the novel virus – its lowest single-day increase in months.
So far, a total of 323,720 coronavirus infections have been confirmed in the country.