Britain has authorized the temporary use of the Flublok flu vaccine and ordered millions of doses as it seeks to give jabs to more people during the
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
A surge in demand for vaccines to ward off winter flu has led to shortages in some European cities, raising the risk of a potentially lethal “twindemic” as COVID-19 cases spike.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
Britain is targeting the vaccination of more than 30 million people, nearly half the population, and said it had given authorization for the supply of Flublok, which has been used in the United States for the last three winters.
UK’s Sunak more financial help for coronavirus-hit businesses
Coronavirus vaccine may be ready for vulnerable groups by end of 2020: US official
Coronavirus: Germany facing ‘very serious’ rise in cases, says health body
“Flublok has been in regular use in the United States -– and the evidence shows that it is an excellent product,” deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van Tam said.
“I want to reassure everyone that all vaccines have undergone robust clinical trials and rigorous checks by the regulator to ensure they are safe, effective and of a high quality.”
Flublok received authorization for temporary supply from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
The MHRA has the power to take such a step when it is satisfied that a medicine is safe and effective in response to a public health threat.
The regulator has been given extra powers during the course of the pandemic, such as being able also to temporarily authorize any coronavirus vaccine that meets safety and quality standards before it has received a full license.
- UK’s Sunak more financial help for coronavirus-hit businesses
- UK backs studies with $44 mln fund to accelerate vaccine development
- Coronavirus: UK’s spies defending COVID-19 vaccine work, MI5 chief says
- Coronavirus: UK study tests if tuberculosis vaccine protects against COVID-19
- Coronavirus: UK could roll out COVID-19 vaccine next month, say NHS documents
- Coronavirus: AstraZeneca resumes COVID-19 vaccine trial after UK green light
- Coronavirus UK survey: 1 in 6 to refuse COVID-19 vaccine, only half certain to accept