Bitcoin dropped as much as 6 percent on Monday, with fears over a fast-spreading new coronavirus strain in Britain hitting assets across wider markets.
The cryptocurrency was last down 5.1 percent at $22,290 after hitting a record $24,299.75 on Sunday.
Bitcoin passed the $20,000 milestone for the first time last week, amid surging interest from larger investors.
- Coronavirus: UK to hold COVID-19 crisis talks after France closes border
- Coronavirus: EU ambassadors will hold crisis meeting on new COVID-19 strain in UK
- Coronavirus: UK under Christmas lockdown amid new ‘out of control’ COVID-19 strain
- Surging interest from major investors sends Bitcoin to peak past $23,000
- With Bitcoin at its highest levels in three years, is now the time to invest?