The COVID-19 death toll and the level of hospital admissions means it is far too early to speculate about when the lockdown may be lifted or eased, one of Prime Minister Boris Johnson's senior ministers said on Wednesday.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
"We are still in a perilous situation," Home Secretary Priti Patel told Sky.
"When we still see hospitalisation figures, now standing at over 38,000 people, with the number of people still dying with coronavirus, with the number of hospital admissions increasing, this is no time to speak about the relaxation of measures," she said. "We have a long way to go."
- More contagious UK coronavirus variant detected in at least 60 countries: WHO
- Coronavirus: UK hospitals use blockchain to optimize tracking of COVID-19 vaccines
- Coronavirus: UK says vaccine manufacturing is ‘lumpy’ but still on course for targets
- Coronavirus: UK vaccinations average 140 people per minute says minister
- Coronavirus: Ukraine sees lowest daily COVID-19 tally since late September