Bahrain will suspend dine-in services at restaurants and cafes and move public and private schools to remote learning for three weeks to contain the spread of the coronavirus, the health ministry said on Wednesday.
The ministry said it had detected a new variant of coronavirus in a number of cases, without specifying which kind. The new lockdown measures will come into effect on Sunday.
There has been an uptick in coronavirus cases in the Gulf kingdom since December. The country registered 459 new cases on Wednesday, adding to a total of nearly 100,000 since the start of the pandemic, with 370 deaths.
The small island state has the third highest rate of vaccinations per capita in the world so far, according to the Our World in Data website, which is run by an Oxford University research program.
Bahrain offers its citizens either the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine or one manufactured by Chinese state-backed pharmaceutical giant Sinopharm free of charge.
The kingdom also approved the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on Monday for emergency use.
Bank ABC from Bahrain acquires Blom Bank Egypt for $480 mln: SourcesBahrain’s Bank ABC completed its purchase of the Egyptian subsidiary of Lebanon’s Blom Bank for $480 million on Thursday, two banking sources said.For ... Economy
Bahrain says Qatar released detained bodybuilding champion Sami Al HaddadQatar has released a bodybuilding champion and two other Bahrainis who had been detained during fishing trips, Bahrain’s Interior Ministry said on ... Gulf
Bahrain economy to see $2.9bln boost when Saudi travel restrictions lift: ExpertBahrain's economy will see a $2.9 billion tourist dollar boost after Saudi Arabia lifted travel restrictions, according to an expert. The King Fahd ... Middle East