President Mohamed Mursi’s presidential office said it will release a statement later Thursday showing the results of the 7th round of the national dialogue that ended Wednesday evening, office spokesman Yasser Ali was quoted as saying.
The front has accepted last week to engage in a national dialogue with President Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood if a number of conditions were met. The front rejected the president’s earlier dialogue invitations, when he refused to postpone a divisive constitution referendum.
The front said that the dialogue over controversial constitutional laws should have a clear agenda and that its results should be announced to the people, adding that there must be a will to abide by agreements made during dialogue sessions, according to Egyptian media reports.
The election law’s proposed amendments “include the repartition of electoral districts based on population, complete judicial supervision by having a judge at every ballot box, a reduction in the number of voters casting ballots at each box from 1,000 to 500, and limits to electoral campaigning,” reported Egypt Independent.
Mursi began a series of dialogue sessions last month, in which he invited political notables and legal experts to discuss a road map for the country which is highly divided over the newly adopted constitution.
The front rejected the president’s earlier invitations after he refused to postpone a divisive referendum on the new charter, saying that it would be “pointless” to participate in a dialogue over the constitution if Mursi insists on his stance.
Critics of the new charter say it uses vague language, fails to enshrine the rights of women and minorities and does little to champion the rights of Egyptians who rose up last year to overthrow army-backed strongman Hosni Mubarak.
While the charter’s supporters say it protects personal rights that were often trampled upon during the Mubarak era and the subsequent spell of army rule.