Nigeria gunmen kidnap 20 women in northeast

Three girls, who escaped after they were abducted in the remote village of Chibok, walk while covered in white sheets as they are led out of a hall after a news conference in Lagos June 5, 2014. (Reuters)

Suspected Boko Haram gunmen have reportedly kidnapped 20 women from a nomadic settlement in northeast Nigeria near the town of Chibok, where the Islamic militants abducted more than 300 schoolgirls and young women on April 15, the Associated Press reported.

Alhaji Tar, a member of the vigilante groups set up to resist Boko Haram’s attacks, says the men arrived at noon Thursday in the Garkin Fulani settlement and forced the women to enter their vehicles at gunpoint. He says they drove away to an unknown location in the remote stretch of Borno state.

Tar says the group also kidnapped three young men who tried to stop the kidnapping.

Boko Haram wants to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria. Some 275 of the kidnapped girls remain missing.

Villagers bury dead after attack

In a related story, more than 100 bodies have been buried almost a week after a Boko Haram attack in northeast Nigeria, Agence France-Presse reported local leaders as saying Monday.

The officials added that many more victims of the attacks had yet to be found.

Lawan Abba Kaka and John Gulla, from Attagara in Borno state, said nearly 110 people had now been interred after Islamist militant fighters stormed the village and at least three others nearby on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.

Boko Haram, which kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in Borno in April, has in recent months stepped up its insurgency, with civilians bearing the brunt of the violence.

Ali Ndume, who represents Borno South in Nigeria’s Senate, said burials had taken place in nine villages: 42 in Attagara, 24 in Aganjara and 20 in Agapalwa.

“From what those who fled told us, there are more corpses in nearby bushes and the mountainside,” he told reporters after a meeting in the Borno state capital, Maiduguri.

“Many people that fled the communities are also trapped on the hills, as they are without food or water.”

Hundreds of people were feared dead in the attack in the Gwoza district of Borno, with some community leaders putting the death toll as high as 400 to 500, although there was no independent verification of the claim.

Peter Biye, who represents Gwoza in Nigeria’s lower chamber of parliament, last week described the bloodshed as “massive” but said exact numbers of dead were impossible to compile because the insurgents were still in the area and locals had fled.

Heavily armed gunmen were said to have killed baby boys being carried on their mothers’ backs and shot down villagers as they tried to flee.

(With Associated Press and AFP)

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:43 - GMT 06:43
Top