Briton, New Zealander killed in western Libya: security source

Security in the port city of Benghazi, an important part of Libya's oil infrastructure, has deteriorated in the past few months with armed militants and radical Islamists roaming unchallenged. (Reuters)

A Briton and a New Zealander, both with gunshot wounds, were found dead in western Libya on Thursday, a Libyan security source said.

“Their bodies were found near the coastal area of Mellitah,” he said,

No further details were immediately available.

Mellitah, near the town of Zuwarah and 100 km (60 miles) west of Tripoli, is home to a large oil and gas complex co-owned by Italy’s ENI.

Meanwhile, two Americans were being held by the Libyan army at its headquarters in the city of Benghazi, a local security source and army sources told Reuters.

The identity of the two Americans was not immediately clear nor why they were detained.

The U.S embassy in Libya could not be reached for comment.

Last week, four American military personnel were detained by the Libyan government on Friday and held in custody for several hours before being released, U.S. officials said.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:42 - GMT 06:42
Top