Libya Dawn militia announces full ceasefire

Pro-government Libyan forces, who are backed by locals, are seen silhouetted during clashes in the streets with the Shura Council of Libyan Revolutionaries. (Reuters)

Libya’s Islamist-backed militia alliance on Friday announced a ceasefire in war-entrenched Libya, following a breakthrough at U.N.-brokered peace talks between warring factions.

Despite not attending the Geneva peace talks, the militias have agreed to "a ceasefire on all fronts," according to a statement released by Fajr Libya (Libya Dawn). The only condition is that "the other parties respect the truce," said the statement,

The announcement came just hours after the United Nations announced that Libya's warring factions had agreed on a roadmap to form a unity government.

"The participants agreed after extensive deliberation on an agenda that includes reaching a political agreement to form a consensual national unity government and the necessary security arrangements to end the fighting," a U.N. statement said.

The United Nations said the participants "expressed their unequivocal commitment to a united and democratic Libya governed by the rule of law and respect for human rights."

Libya was plunged into civil war since the ouster of Muammar Qaddafi in 2011. Two rival governments each backed by armed militias have been battling for control of key cities and the nation’s oil wealth.

Libya's internationally recognized government decamped last summer to the eastern city of Tobruk after Fajr Libya seized the capital Tripoli and set up its own administration.

Fajr Libya also holds the third city, Misrata. It launched a bloody offensive in December to seize control of key oil terminals but was repelled by the army.

Violence has left hundreds of Libyans killed, thousands wounded, and has displaced hundreds of thousands of civilians. Most foreign diplomats have fled the country after their embassies shut down last year.

[With AFP]

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:46 - GMT 06:46
Top