Cruise companies suspend stopovers in Tunis after attack

A victim is being evacuated by rescue workers outside the Bardo musum in Tunis, Wednesday, March 18, 2015 in Tunis, Tunisia. (AP)

Two Italian cruise companies whose passengers were among the victims of a deadly attack on a Tunis museum on Thursday suspended stopovers in the city.

In a severe blow for Tunisia’s tourist industry, MSC Cruises and Costa Crociere said none of their boats would berth in the north African country’s capital until further notice.

The boats whose passengers were caught up in the attacks both left Tunis Thursday for the next scheduled stops on their cruises.

Nine passengers on the MSC ship that was in Tunis when the attack occurred on Wednesday were among at least 20 foreign tourists confirmed to have died.

The passengers who lost their lives were three Japanese, two Colombians, two Spaniards and two French nationals.

A further 12 passengers were injured and six had not returned to the MSC Splendida when it left Tunis on Thursday morning, bound for Barcelona.

Read Also: Akeel, the brave Tunisian special forces dog killed in gun siege.

Three passengers on the Costa Fascinosa died, the company’s CEO Michael Thamm said in a statement. Eight others were injured and two were unaccounted for. The nationalities of the deceased were not released.

The ship set off from Tunis in the early hours for the Spanish island of Mallorca.

Costa said the suspension would affect three of its giant ships which had been due to berth in Tunis in the coming months -- the Costa Fortuna, Costa Favolosa and the Costa neoRiviera.

MSC also had three boats scheduled to dock in Tunis in the near future.

Read Also: From beaches to dunes, the shifting sands of Tunisia’s tourism industry.

In a statement, Costa said: “The safety of our guests and crew is Costa Crociere’s priority and an essential requirement for providing peaceful and relaxing holidays.

“After what happened in Tunis, we have decided to cancel all upcoming stops by our boats.”

Both companies said they were working on alternative ports of call for the affected cruises.

Costa said two of its executives and 12 other employees were in Tunis helping the injured and attempting to track down the two missing passengers.

Both ships had more than 3,000 passengers on board when they arrived in Tunis.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 13:55 - GMT 10:55
Top