Death toll in Philippines quake reaches 144

The entire Philippines province was without electricity after the quake cut power supplies. (Reuters)

A government official says the death toll from the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit the Philippines has risen to 144.

Civil Defense Director Eduardo del Rosario said Wednesday that another 291 people are injured.

The central island of Bohol, a popular tourist area, was hit hardest by Tuesday morning's quake, with widespread damage to houses and historic churches.

A day after the quake, Bohol Gov. Edgardo Chatto said that all towns in need had been reached, although landslides and damaged bridges were slowing down road travel.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:41 - GMT 06:41
Top