Saudi Arabia arrests 46 suspects involved in Prophet's Mosque attack

Al- Harazat cell members found responsible for the attack against Prophet Mosque. (supplied)

Saudi Arabia said on Sunday it had arrested 46 members of a militant cell responsible for a deadly suicide bombing attack on the Prophet's Mosque in the holy city of Medina last summer widely blamed on ISIS, according to the spokesman of the Saudi Interior Ministry.

The suspects, who included foreign and Saudi citizens, were detained in the Western port city of Jeddah.

The spokesman said that investigations with members of the recently dismantled ‘Al-Harazat cell’ proved that they have connections to other terrorist operations.

He said that one of these terrorist acts was the attack that targeted the worshipers at the Prophet's Mosque, by providing the explosive belt which was used in this crime and handing it over to the suicide bomber.

Ibrahim Saleh Al-Zahrani (Saudi). (Supplied)

Ibrahim Saleh Al-Zahrani (Saudi). (Supplied)

The cell was also found to be involved in the terrorist act that took place in the courtyard of Suleiman Fakih Hospital in Jeddah.

He said that the cell decapitated one of its members for suspecting that he was intending to surrender himself to the authorities. The investigations have confirmed that the dead man was a Saudi wanted by the authorities and was an expert in the making explosive belts.

Saeed Saleh Saeed al- Zahrani (Saudi). (Supplied)

Saeed Saleh Saeed al- Zahrani (Saudi). (Supplied)

He added that the number of arrested members  associated with the criminal activities of this cell so far have reached 46, including 32 Saudis, and 14 foreigners of various nationalities (Pakistani, Yemeni, Afghan, Egyptian, Jordanian and Sudanese).

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Wednesday, 20 May 2020 KSA 09:50 - GMT 06:50
Top